We want our children to love geography! Our aim is that, through the teaching of Geography at The Willow, we provide a purposeful platform for exploring, appreciating and understanding the world in which we live and how it has evolved. We want to ensure that through Geography, pupils are able to explore the relationship between the Earth and its people through the study of place, space and environment. In Geography, pupils in our school will learn the skills of understanding locational knowledge; how and where people fit into its overall structure. We also intend for children to become passionate and knowledgeable about our local community and beyond, by learning through experiences in practical and fieldwork activities.
We Ensure that Children:
- Gain an excellent knowledge of where places are and what they are like.
- Gain an excellent understanding of the ways in which places are interdependent and interconnected and how much human and physical environments are interrelated.
- Develop an extensive base of geographical knowledge and vocabulary.
- Are fluent in complex, geographical enquiry with the ability to apply questioning skills and use effective analytical and presentational techniques.
- Have the ability to reach clear conclusions and develop a reasoned argument to explain findings.
- Develop significant levels of originality, imagination and creativity as shown in interpretations and representations of the subject matter.
- Develop and frequently utilised fieldwork and other geographical skills and techniques.
- Have a passion for and commitment to the subject, and a real sense of curiosity to find out about the world and the people who live there.
- Develop the ability to express well-balanced opinions, rooted in very good knowledge and understanding about current and contemporary issues in society and the environment.
Whole School Geography Map